Live and Learn

Live and Learn

Monday, January 3, 2011

A Close Second...


I just want to be a close second

I don’t desire to win the race

Or get the big trophy

I don’t care that my name isn’t announced with favor

Because I come real close

That’s good enough for me

Being that shoulder to cry on

As I cry towards the finish line

But that’s fine because nobody pays that much attention to second

And that’s fine because all that attention

I don’t care too much for

Favor first, Cherish first

I’m fine with that pat on the back

Cuz maybe with that touch

You’ll feel my energy

My passion and desire

Because although I’m fine with silver

Who really doesn’t strive for the gold?

So I’ll continue to chill in the cut

Waiting for my next opportunity

Maybe I could come in first this time

And dust the previous champion into oblivion

But until that day

I just want to be your close second…

1 comment:

  1. Wow! My Reaction:...i'd rather settle for 2nd place than 3rd place...but close 2nd, as you describe it, is powerful because you can't necessarily say that 1st place actually deserved it or beat you by that much. i feel like patience (waiting for your time to shine)being persistent (continuously grinding and always on your toes)...and that passion you speak of...will guarantee that when you do dust the previous champion into oblivion....2nd place won't even be close

    4 stars

    ReplyDelete